is the first coastal destination in Istria working anticlockwise
It is placed on the eponymous cap on the northwestern tip of a region nearby Slovenian border.
A small harbour in the bay, a lighthouse, a church and a couple of restaurants compose the old Savudrija, a haven of peace and simple charm.
Nowadays, in addition to its old core, Savudrija encompasses a couple of surrounding settlements and villages.
The whole zone is nested peacefully in some of the greenest and best-forested countryside in Istria among the pines, vineyards, olive groves and the fields of rich red soil.
SILBORIS, SILBONIS, SILBIO, SILVIUM, SILVO, SALBERA, SALVORE...
Savudrija's name evolved throughout the history at the same time as the different powers and cultures were exchanging on its territory.
A couple of prehistoric gradinas demonstrate that the Savudrija's area was already settled in the Neolithic period.
Also, the numerous remains of roman rustic villas display that the place was highly populated in the antiquity.
In roman times Savudrija used to be an important port named Silvo with two breakwaters that have remained intact.
During the following centuries, Savudrija has remained a tiny fishing village till the 19th century when it became a part of the Austrian Littoral.
At that time it started to develop into a health resort and its tourist development is still continuing.
In hotels, camps, vacation houses or apartments as well as in agritourisms, villas and country cottages.
The lighthouse Savudrija is also for rent.
Savudrija's rocky shore with numerous bays and coves is composed of stone slabs descending into the sea with some pebble parts.
Most of the beaches are immersed in lush Mediterranean shrubs and pine trees that provide plenty of shade.
THE BEACH SAVUDRIJA
One of the most popular beaches is located 30 meter from the Savudrija lighthouse. It is a pebbly beach with some rocky parts.
NUDIST BEACH KANEGRA
This nice pebbly beach is a part of the tourist resort Kanegra at Crveni Vrh that includes a nudist camp.
Built at the northwestern tip of the cape Donja Savudrija in 1818 makes it the third oldest lighthouse on the eastern Adriatic coast.
This was the first gas-powered lighthouse in the world deriving its light from coal distillation (1828).
Its 29 m high tower with lights visible at a distance off of 30 miles can be visited and offers gorgeous views of the riviera and Savudrija bay.
LIGHTHOUSE for RENT
The old lighthouse is available for weekly rental. This quiet spot is surrounded by a garden with a beach just 30 meters away.
WINDSURFING & KITESURFING
Due to its moderate winds and mild sea currents Savudrija is one of the best windsurfing and kite boarding spots in the Northern Adriatic Sea.
Best site is Gilda, a freighter near Cape Savudrija.
Located less than 300 m from the sea at Crveni Vrh, an 18 hole professional course over watches the Savudrija's bay.
Hiking trail Parenzana - The Route of Health and Friendship is passing nearby Savudrija. It is equally used by the hikers as well as the cyclists.
Savudrija is intersected by numerous cycling trails.
7 KILOMETERS TO UMAG
The 7 km long road along the coast leading to Umag goes through the pine forest. Under the shade of trees with the smell of resin it is pleasant and useful for cyclists going south.
There is a couple of tennis courts.
Public hunting area of Umag, under the direction of the Trčka hunting association is at the disposal of the hunters.
LD Umag Galići 45
It is an ancient shepard game whose world competition is held in Savudrija since 1999.
Along the Savudrija coastline the small fishing boats are flying in the sky!
Of course, it's a joke! They are just hanging due to the special way they are “moored in the air”.
In fact, the small fishing boats are lifted with ropes above the sea and tied up to a wooden structure to remain suspended in the air.
This method of storing the boats is used to protect them from bad weather, especially the harsh south-western wind of "lebić".
CHURCH of St. JOHN the APOSTLE
The parish church of St John from the 11th century is located nearby the Savudrija harbour.
Renovated a couple of times its primary appearance was significantly changed.
During the renovation in 1826 the three nave church has transformed to a church with a single nave.
The fact that the church was significantly bigger before the renovation testifies that Savudrija had more influence in the past than today.
The church has three altars. The main represents the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. John and St. Peter, while on the side altars there are statues of the Virgin and the Sacred Heart.
Its 20 meter high campanile was built in 1869.
Near the church there is a rectory with a stone inscription on the façade and a coat of arms from 1475. The well dating from the 18th century is in front of the house.
EVENTS & MANIFESTATIONS
Savudrija nights - festivals and various events with gastronomic offers and entertainment. - in July and August
The feast day of St. Mary Magdalene in Zambratija. - the end of July
The feast of St. Peter with an entertainment program - 27.06.
May Day - International Workers' Day – traditional festival with a culinary and entertainment program.
“Branko Jurić”- pločkanje tournament (a traditional shepherd game). - in April
Savudrija Open - golf tournament. - in April
Tourist Information Center (TIC)
00 385 (0) 52/ 759 659