Kastel Sucurac, Croatia

Kastel-Sucurac

The most eastern of all the 7 Kastelas, Kastel Sucurac, is situated between Solin and Kastel Gomilica with which it is merged.

It was named after St. Georges, its patron saint whose small church is located on the slope of the Kozjak above the village of Putalj. The village doesn't exist any more because its inhabitants left it to built Sucurac.

The old centre of Sucurac with its traditional stone houses is well preserved contrary to the the eastern part of the settlement that is a little industrial centre.

The oldest of the Kastelas, Sucurac formed around the safeguarding tower that was erected in 1392 by the villagers of Putalj to protect the archbishop Andrija Gualdo's lands from the Ottomans.

A century later the Split archbishop Averaldo built his summer residence next to the already existing fortress and after several modifications and enlargements the fortification got its final shape in 1509.

Since the villagers from Putalj never returned to their original village but continued to live in the built houses around the fortifications over time the village developped around. The walls and the towers still visible from its northern side have been partially transformed into the residential premises.

Contrary to other Kastelas, in Sucurac, the central square is formed on the southern side of the fortified palace distinguished by its Gothic façade. Today, in this former bishop's summer residence is located the exhibition area «Podvorje» that exposes one part of archaeological artefacts from Putalj

Unfortunately, only the bell tower remained of the16th-century parish church after Allied bombing in 1943.

ACCOMODATION

Accomodation is mainly offered in private houses and apartments.

BEACHES

Sokolana and Gojaca, two municipal beaches are easily accessible as well as the beaches in the neighbouring Gomilica.

ISLET of BARBARINAC

Those searching for tranquillity could go to the islet of Barbarinac situated in the eastern part of the settlement in front of the shopping-mall. This cute little island of 0,6 ha is easily accessible and ideal for bathing and resting in the shadow of the Dalmatian black pines

HIKING

Hikers would be happy because Kastel Sućurac is the starting point of a hiking path leading to the Kozjak ridge passing through Vele Stina, the Putalj mountain hut (480 m), the Vrata pass or the small church of St. Luka (690 m).

KAOCINA GAJ

Also, on the eastern slopes of Kozjak you could enjoy in Kaocina gaj (grove) that is a good example of Mediterranean vegetation, high macchia, Dalmatian black pine (Pinus nigra Dalmatica) and other native species.

An awesome view of the Kastela bay, Ciovo and other Dalmatian islands is waiting for you from the church of St. Georg of Putalj situated on the slope above of the disappeared medieval village of Putalj. The remains of that Pre-Romanesque 9th century church are immured into the current building.

Agreeable promenades could be done along the 6 km of seafront stretching through all of the Kastelas till Kastel Stafilic.

MARINA

Small boats can berth in the Sucurac harbour as well as in the big bay some 500 m in the east of the harbour. The harbour is full of local boats but if necessary it is possible to berth in the middle. Bigger boats should sail a little bit further to the west to Kastel Gomilica  where is located a big marina Kastela www.marina-kastela.hr.


TOURIST INFORMATIONS

Tourist board

Brce 1

21215 Kaštel Lukšić

www.kastela-info.hr

00 385 (0)21 227 933

Tourist Information Center (TIC)

Obala kralja Tomislava 18
21216 Kaštel Novi

00385 (0)21 232 044









 
 
Written by :