Kastel Stafilic, Croatia

Kastel-Stafilic

Kastel Stafilic, the most western of all Kastelas, is situated between Kastel Stari in the east with which it is completely merged and Trogir in the west.

It was named after its founder, a land owner from Trogir, Stipan Stafileo who probably had never imagined that the settlement would develop around his fortress to become the today’s Stafilic.

ROTONDO

Stafileo ordered its construction in 1508 to protect his lands and the Kozjak's peasants from the Ottomans attacks.

His tower, now called Rotondo, constructed on a sea reef was connected to the continent by a drawbridge with protection towers, of which one is still preserved in its original form.

Next to the tower there is a fortified renaissance house of the Stafileo's family with its family seal engraved with bunch of grape motifs. It is a pictorial translation of the Staphile name that comes from the Greek language and means the bunch of grapes and symbolizes wine making and the future. Also, the inscription in Latin engraved above the tower's gate mentions the construction of the fort and the house. The southern residential wing of the house had a water gate that still exists today.

The refugees from Kozjak's villages Bijaci and Zestinj – Miran built next to the castle a fortified, rectangular-shaped village surrounded by a trench.

FERRA HOUSE

The Ferra's fortified house close to the defensive walls is still preserved and now owed by the Pera family.

After the Ottomans retreat, the fortress, originally surrounded by the sea, was connected to the mainland by backfilling and levelling. The peasants had never returned to their old villages and over time the settlement enlarged to become today’s Stafilic.

NEHAJ

The second Stafilic's tower, the unfinished squat Nehaj is situated 400m west of the Rotondo.

The brothers Ljudevit and Ivan Lodi, the nobles from Trogir started building it in 1548, but after their death its construction was definitely stopped.

The edifice was built up to the upper thresholds of the first floor windows, it is surrounded by sea on three sides and connected to the land on the northern side.

It was named by the Senj's refugees Uskoks because it remained them of the Nehaj fortress from their native town.

Today, it is the most western tower of Kastela. In the past there were two other towers – Kvarko and Dragoc that are now completely ruined and abandoned.

CHURCH

The parish church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary built by Ignacije Macanovic on the foundations of the old church from 1566 dominates the village.

This elegant single naved edifice built in the 18th century in a late Baroque style houses a “miraculous” icon from the 16th century as well as traditional Kaštela jewellery and statues of St. Blaž and St. Lucija, work of Marin Studin.

BEACHES

Stafilic prides itself on the largest selection of beaches in Kastela : Gabine, Bile, Resnik, Stari Resnik and Divulje.

Pebbly beach Gabine stretches from the eastern side of Nehaj tower and is close to the town center. It is lined by pine and tamarisk trees that make the natural shadows.

Bile, the first beach after the Nehaj tower is situated a few hundred meters west of the Gabine beach. It is a pleasant pebbly beach lined by the pine and tamarisk trees stretching towards Resnik.

Resnik, the beach below the hotel complex Resnik is partly sandy and pebbly with concrete parts. It is a very well equipped beach for the families with children.

Stari Resnik is situated between Divulja beach in the west and Resnik beach in the east. This well equipped pebbly beach is suitable for families, and its shallow waters and sand make it ideal for playing picigin.

Divulje, the last Stafilic's beach in the westernmost part of Kastela is located several hundred meters below the Split airport. It is a nice pebbly beach with splendid view of the Kastela bay, Kozjak and Mosor mountains in the background.

ACCOMMODATION

A tourist resort Resnik, Adria hotel and a couple of mini-camping sites complement a large number of accommodation in private houses and apartments.

NAUTICS

In Stafilic the boats could moor along the concrete part of the coast between Rotondo and the tower Nehaj. However, one should be careful because the berthing place is open to western and north-western winds.

To the west, next to the Nehaj tower there is a small harbour protected on the southern side by a small breakwater. Being very shallow, the harbour is mainly occupied by small local boats.

In front of the hotel Resnik, in the most western part of the town a T – shaped mole is built for the guests of the hotel. The sea depths of 3-6m are sufficient for mooring alongside the quay. To the east of the mole there is a beach and to the west another small harbour.

THE OLD OLIVE TREE

In Stafilic's field grows the 1500 year old olive tree (Olea Europea) locally called Mastrinka. This oldest Croatian olive tree probably originating from Southern Italy or Greece is now a protected natural monument due to its uniqueness and age. The roots of this 10m high tree spread over 100 meters, the span of the tree is 6 m and the span of the tree top is 22m. The impressive Mastrinka is still oil-producing giving quality oil, well bought souvenir from Kastela.

HIKING ON KOZJAK

Hikers could reach Kozjak from Bijaci that is about half an hour's walk from Resnik. Bijaci is the starting point of a 30 km long hiking path “Cradle of Croatian Statehood Bijaci – Klis” that passes along the Kozjak's highest points. It links 19 control points, mostly sacral objects from the middle ages (St. Marta at Bijaći, St. Nofar, Stomorija, St. Juraj od Raduna, St. Ivan Biranj, St. Kuzma and Damjan, St. Juraj od Putalja and other) and ends at Šuplja crkva (Hollow church) in Solin.

BIJACI

Bijaci, an abandoned village at the foot of the mount Veliki Bijac hides under the earth an important archaeological findings Miri. Some of its artefacts kept in the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split confirms uninterrupted human habitation of this area from the ancient time, across the middle ages to the beginning of the Ottomans pillages. At that time, in the end of the Middle Ages, its inhabitants were obliged to descend and hide in the fortresses built by their landowners to protect them.

Also, two deed of donation written by the Croatian dukes confirm that from the 9th century to the end of 11th century Bijaci was one of the important centers of the early Croatian state.

ST. MARTA

From St. Martha, the first church on the path Bijaci – Solin, there are only the remains. Considered to be the former Bijaci's parish church it was built in the 9th century on the antique foundations of an early-Christian basilica. This preromanic three-nave edifice with a square apse and foundation of a bell tower on the front façade is one of the oldest Croatian churches.

Around St. Martha there are a late Antique cemetery and an Old Croatian cemetery used till the end of 17th century.

Today, next to the ruins of the old St. Martha is the chapel built by Frane Bulic in 1908.

ST. NOFAR

The marked footpath further leads to the Veliki Bijac peak (208m) where is situated the small church of St. Nofar (Onofrio). The façade inscription from 1475 about the restoration of this simple church with its lovely Gothic vault confirms its older origin.

ST. GEORGE OF ZESTINJE

On the nearby mount Trecenica, there is St. George of Zestinje (Sv. Juraj od Žestinja) an old Croatian church from the 12th century with simply adorned portal with stylized leaves and a cross. Its old cemetery with Gnostic Christian’s standing tomb-stones confirms the existence of the medieval village of Žestinj – Miran abandoned by its inhabitants due to the Ottomans attacks.

MUJINA CAVE

Mujina Cavern, a Neanderthals hide has been discovered on the western slopes of Kozjak, near the road leading to Labin. Its numerous archaeological findings bear witness to the way of life of Neanderthal man in the area some 45 000 years ago.

HUNTING

Hunters have at their disposal Kastela and Kozjak public hunting areas. The hunting house Tikvenjak, under the management of the Hunting Association of Lower Kastel, is reachable by a macadam road between Trecenica and Opora mounts in the direction of Prosika.


Beside its beaches, Stafilic's main asset is its old stone village with its main square, Igrisce situated on it long and animated seafront that hosts numerous summer events.

As in other Kastelas, promenader is here a king as he can chose between the east and visit the other 6 Kastelas or just go west and take a stroll along beaches extending for kilometres till Trogir.


TOURIST INFORMATIONS

Tourist board

Brce 1
21215 Kaštel Lukšić

www.kastela-info.hr

00 385 (0)21 227 933


Tourist Information Center (TIC)

Obala kralja Tomislava 18
21216 Kaštel Novi

00385 (0)21 232 044





 
 
Written by :