Kastel Gomilica, Croatia

Kastel-Gomilica

Kastel Gomilica, the most picturesque, the most preserved and the smallest of all Kastelas, is situated between Sucurac and Kambelovac.

Its first name was Kastel Opatica (opatica means nun in Croatian) because it was built by the Split Benedictine nuns in the first half of the 16th century to protect their lands from the Ottomans. Over time it was named Gomilica after the sea reef Gomile on which it was built.

The newly built fortress, nowadays called Kastilac, consisted of a defense walls and a tower situated in the northern part of it which was joined to the mainland by a drawbridge leaning against a much longer stone bridge.The fortification was also reachable by boat on the southern part through a gateway that is still preserved.

In 1545, when this fortified castle was completed 16 families from Gornje and Donje Kozice moved in after the Ottomans destroyed their villages. The rest of the villagers, since there were not enough place inside it, started constructing their housings on a mainland on a protected area. Over time the settlement on the continent adjacent to Kastilac enlarged and is still growing today.

Nowadays, this sea fortress squatting on a islet 40 meters from the mainland, contains thirty houses and the ex monastery of the Benedectine Order that are good examples of the local stone architecture. Along a stone bridge permeated with arcades leading to the old Kastilac the boats of the local fishermen gently sway in the sea.

CHURCH of ST. JEROME

In the settlement on the mainland, the old parish church from the 18th century, St. Jerome is interesting for its carved Baroque doors. Since the construction of the new parish church in 1914 in the neighbourhood of Kozice, Staro selo, it is not used for worship at the present time. All the altars are transported to the new church of St. Jerome as well as a crucifix that is a work of the local artist Fulgencije Bakotić from the 18th century.

In the vicinity of the new Parish Church there is an old cemetery with the medieval a pre-Romanic church of St. Cosmos and Damian built in the 12th century, over remains of an ancient necropolis and an early-Christian church (findings of early-Christian sarcophagi).

OLD OAK TREE

Also, in front of the church stands an old oak tree(quercus virgiliana), a protected natural monument estimated to be between 700 and 900 years old that captures interest by its beauty and size. The tree is 4 m in circumference and 20 m tall and the branches of the tree are up to 20 m.

BEACHES

Gomilica's beaches stretches on both sides of the old Kastilac.
Torac, a central beach is also favorite place for evening hangouts and strolls that could lead to a neighbouring Kambelovac.
The pebbled beach Kamp stretching from Kastilac to the marina Kastela is more calmer and less populated.

ACCOMMODATION

Accommodation is mainly offered in numerous private houses and apartments.

HIKING

Mountains enthusiasts could ascend the Kozjak and reach its highest peak Veli vrj at 779 meters above Gomilica that offers tremendous views of Split, Solin, Kastela, Trogir, the sea and the middle Dalmatian islands.

MARINA

Small boats can berth on both sides of the breakwater in the eastern side of the Kastilac. The part of the harbour around the stone bridge is occupied by local boats.

The bigger boats should direct towards the east to a modern marina Kastela www.marina-kastela.hr capable to accommodate even the mega yachts.


TOURIST INFORMATIONS


Tourist board

Brce 1
21215 Kaštel Lukšić

www.kastela-info.hr

00 385 (0)21 227 933


Tourist Information Center (TIC)
Obala kralja Tomislava 18
21216 Kaštel Novi

00385 (0)21 232 044



 
 
Written by :