Dajla-Daila, Croatia

Dajla-Daila Dajla, once a small fishing village transformed into a tourist destination, is located 5 km north of Novigrad city-center.

Known for the house of Grisoni, Dajla has developed around its bay in a natural port that protects it from bora and other winds.


The modern settlement has spread around the entire bay with a new tourist village in its northern part called Karigador.


FOR WHO?


Dajla is a preferred destination of people searching for peaceful holidays in a relaxing environment.

However, situated half way between Umag and Novigrad it offers an easy access to more fun and entertainment.

ACCOMMODATION


Beside Park and Mareda campsites, the majority of accommodation is available in private houses and apartments.

CATERING


Dajla offers a couple of nice restaurants and some small markets.

WINES


Dajla is famous for its three wines; Dajla cuvee barique, Dajla teran and Dajla malvazija.

BEACHES

LADIN GAJ BEACH


Located in the northern part of the bay, in Karigador, the beach is shared by Dajla and Lovrecica.

The beach is rocky with partly concrete areas and its southern part is reserved for naturalists.

PUNTA BEACH


A tongue of land consisting of a rocky beach with pebbly parts is situated behind the Benedictine monastery.

CHURCHES

BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, MOTHER OF MERCY


The church is built in 1912 on the Belvedere promontory in Karigador.

ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST


The parish church of St. John the Baptist was constructed between 1763 and 1903 in the late Baroque and neoclassical style.

THE PERFECT WEDDING LOCATION

The Church of St. John the Baptist in the country estate of Grisoni attracts a large number of couples searching for a romantic location for their big day.

Charm of the whole compound with the church located right by the Adriatic, the terrace surrounded by the greenery with the sea view provide a splendid and unique setting for the wedding ceremony.

A wedding reception can be organized in the garden.



From AYLA To DAJLA...



Although the name of Dajla was first mentioned in the written form in the 11th century as Ayla, the remains of roman villas confirm that it was already settled in the Antiquity.



THE GRISONI ESTATE



The estate Grisoni is a rare example of Istrian countryside complex situated by the seashore.

The palace itself is also one of only a few Neoclassical
buildings on the Croatian coast.

This valuable architectural complex
from the end of the 18th and the first half of the 19th century acquired its final appearance in 1839, after the projects of French architect Gabriel Le Terrier de Manetot.

The domain consists of a neoclassical villa with its front flanked with two nearly identical baroque buildings (the Church of St. John the Baptist and the house of the chaplain) forming a garden in the middle that leads to the sea with a tiny stone pier.



AN EARLY CHRISTIAN BASILICA



The most ancient remains of the estate go back to the 5th and 6th centuries when the Greek monks built the early christian basilica and founded a Monastery dedicated to St. John the Baptist.



BENEDICTINE MONASTERY



The monastery was taken over by the Benedictines in the 9th century. However, they left it later in the Middle Ages, at the turn of the 13th century.



SABINI FAMILY



In the 13th century, the abandoned monastery came into possession of the Novigrad bishops, who assigned it to a noble family Sabini.


At the end of the 13th century, the new owners restored the property and built a fortress named Kaštel Dajla (Castrum Dailae).


In place of the former monastery, a new fort became a center of a large estate but was later abandoned and dilapidated.


GRISONI FAMILY


The fort was dilapidated by 1736, when the whole estate was purchased by the Grisoni family. They started repairing it and erecting new buildings.


The church of St. John the Baptist was constructed between 1763 and 1903 in the late Baroque style.


FORTRESS BECOMES A VILLA in 1830


In the 19th century a reconstruction further continues by employing the french architect Gabriel Le Terrier de Manetote. In 1830 he demolished the old castle to make way for a new neoclassical palace.


Having respected the style of the preceding period, De Manetot left the Baroque church of St. John the Baptist (east of the villa) intact, and constructed opposite a new building of identical appearance (the residence of the chaplain).


RETURN OF THE BENEDICTINS


After a family tragedy, Count Grisoni donated the property to Benedictine order of St. Mary from Praglia that operated there from 1858 to 1948.


NATIONALISATION


The communist authorities confiscated the monastery in 1948 and transformed it into a nursing home. The convent served that purpose till 1989 when it was abandoned once again.


GOLF


Finally, the new investors are turning the countryside complex into a golf course.


CYCLING


Dajla is a part of two attractive circular cycling routes starting from Novigrad: The trail of st. Pelagius and From Neapolis to Novigrad.


www.istria-bike.com


SEASIDE PROMENADE

Promenade lovers will be delighted to find the possibility to walk along the coast for 5 km till Novigrad or 10 km to Umag center.


HUNTING


Dajla is a part of a public hunting area of Novigrad, under the direction of the Patka hunting association that is at the disposal of the hunters.

LD "Patka" Novigrad

Bužinija bb
52466 Novigrad
www.lsiz.hr


TOURIST INFORMATIONS


Tourist office Novigrad

Mandrac 29a

52 466 Novigrad

www.novigrad-cittanova.hr

+00 385 (0) 52/ 757-075


 
 
Written by :